Varanasi is one of the oldest living cities, which is mainly associated with Hinduism and Buddhism. Here one can see glimpses of various religions, numerous cultures and, religious and educational institutions. It is mesmerizing, to look and experience the primitive worship cults being practiced here at Varanasi. It is also known for yoga, Ayurveda, learning centers, cultural arts and crafts. Students and scholars from all the corners of the world, comes to Varanasi for knowledge and enlightenment.
Varanasi is one of the oldest living cities in the world. The land of Varanasi (Kashi), also known as Benares or Banaras, has been the ultimate pilgrimage spot for Hindus for ages.
These few lines by Mark Twain says it all:
“Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together“
Hindus believe, that one who is graced to die on the land of Varanasi, would attain salvation and freedom from the cycle of birth and re-birth. Our sacred river Ganges (Ganga), is believed to have the power to wash away the sins of us mortals. River Ganga is the main attraction for tourists in Varanasi.
Morning Walk and Ganga Aarti
Morning walk (Subah-e-Banaras) and evening Ganga aarti, are the most famous tourist activities. Morning here is very different, which is filled with spiritual energy. People (Both foreigners and Indians) can be seen at the ghats along the river Ganga, doing yoga and meditation. Ghats along the Ganga are the main tourist attractions, and they love to spend their quality time here. Apart from this, evening Ganga aarti is also very famous, specially the aarti of Dashashwamedh Ghat.
Myths About River Ganga
Ganges is believed to have it’s origin in the tresses of Lord Shiva, and in Varanasi it expands to the mighty river that we know of.
Ancient learning Center
Varanasi has also been a great center of learning, since the ancient period. It is associated with promotion of spiritualism, mysticism, Sanskrit, yoga, Ayurveda and Hindi language. And is honored with authors, such as the ever-famous novelist Prem Chand and Tulsi Das, the famous saint-poet who wrote Ram Charit Manas.
Some Interesting things to know about Varanasi
- Varanasi originates from the names of the two rivers: Varuna (still flowing), and Asi, a small stream near Assi Ghat.
- It is the city where Lord Buddha preached his first sermon, after his enlightenment. Currently, it is known as Sarnath.
- Varanasi is also known as the holy city of Benares, or Kashi, which means the “City of Light”.
- Recently, it is known for the most sacred city in the world where millions of visitors visit for taking a sacred bath in Ganga river.
- It is the city where Ayurveda and Yoga was taken the major place for ancient.
- The Banarasi sarees are also world famous.