Varanasi is associated mainly with Hinduism and Buddhism but one can find glimpse of many religious myths, types of worship and religious institutions at Varanasi. It is amazing to see the primitive worship cults being practiced at Varanasi. Now these days Varanasi is known for yoga, Ayurveda, learning centers, Culture and arts and crafts. Students and researchers came from every corner of the world for study and research in Varanasi. Varanasi is also known for yoga and Ayurveda from ancient time.
The land of Varanasi (Kashi) has been the ultimate pilgrimage spot for Hindus for ages. varanasi is also known as Benares or Banaras. Varanasi is the oldest living city in the world.
These few lines by Mark Twain say it all:
“Benaras is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend and looks twice as old as all of them put together“
Hindus believe that one who is graced to die on the land of Varanasi would attain salvation and freedom from the cycle of birth and re-birth. Ganges in Varanasi is believed to have the power to wash away the sins of mortals. Here ganga river is the main attraction for tourists in Varanasi.
Morning Walk and Ganga Aarti
Morning walk (Subah-e-Banaras) and ganga aarti is most famous tourist activity in Varanasi. Morning in Varanasi is very different. Its full of spiritual energy. People (Both tourist and indian) can be seen at ghats of river ganga doing yoga and meditation. Ganga Ghats in Varanasi are the main touris spots. Most of the tourist came across ghats to spend their time. Apart from this evening ganga aarti is also very famous in varanasi. Ganga aarti at Dashashwamedh gahta is very popular activity in varanasi.
Myths About River Ganga
Ganges is said to have its origins in the tresses of Lord Shiva and in Varanasi, it expands to the mighty river that we know of.
Ancient learning Center
Varanasi has also been a great center of learning from ancient time. Varanasi is associated with promotion of spiritualism, mysticism, Sanskrit, yoga and Hindi language and honored authors such as the ever-famous novelist Prem Chand and Tulsi Das, the famous saint-poet who wrote Ram Charit Manas.
Some Interesting things to know about varanasi
- Varanasi originates from the names of the two rivers: Varuna, still flowing in Varanasi, and Asi, a small stream near Assi Ghat.
- It is the city where Lord Buddha preached his first ceremon after his enlightenment. Currently, it is known as Sarnath.
- Varanasi is known as the holy city of Benares or Kashi for ancient which was the “City of Light”.
- Recently, It is known for the most sacred city in the world where millions of visitors visit for taking a sacred bath in Ganga River.
- It is the city where Ayurveda and Yoga was taken the major place for ancient.
- The Benarasi Saree is also word famous.